Difference Between Motorcycle and Other Recreational Vehicle Insurance

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Insurance can be complicated. From figuring out a life insurance policy to insuring your home, your family’s health, your belongings, and the assortment of vehicles you may have, the details of each insurance policy can start to blur. However, it’s still important to keep on top of the insurance policies you possess to ensure it helps protect from damage, accidents, and injury.


Insurance for different vehicles can be tricky to understand. Your regular automobile insurance policy might not cover everything if you have a motorcycle, travel trailer, or other recreational vehicle that you use, in addition to your regular car.


Auto Insurance


Automobile insurance is designed to cover the vehicles you frequently drive, such as your car or truck. You might use this vehicle to commute to work, to drive around town, or to go on major road trips with. Your auto insurance policy, motorcycle insurance policy, or other recreational vehicle insurance policy premium will be determined by a few factors, including:


  • The make and model of your vehicle
  • How often you drive it
  • Where you live
  • What’s your driving history?
  • Your age
  • Whether you are able to bundle your insurance policies together
  • And more.


Don’t assume that your car insurance will automatically cover any vehicle you own or drive, though. Here are a few ways that motorcycle insurance differs from auto insurance and other recreational vehicle insurance policies.


Motorcycle Insurance


In North Carolina, motorcycles are required to have certain amounts of insurance coverage built into a motorcycle insurance policy. These requirements include $30,000 coverage for bodily injury or death to one person in a single accident; $60,000 for bodily injury or death to more than one person in a single accident situation; and $25,000 for property damage incurred from a single accident.


Other policies can be built into a motorcycle insurance policy, including:


  • Liability insurance, which covers damages to another person’s motorcycle or car, in addition to bodily injury.
  • Collision coverage, which pays for repairs to your bike if your motorcycle rolls over, if you hit another vehicle and sustain damage, or if another vehicle hits you and causes damage.
  • OTC (other-than-collision) coverage: helps pay for repairs not caused by a single accident, like vandalism, theft, or fire damage.
  • Uninsured motorist coverage, which helps pay for injuries caused by an uninsured driver.
  • Custom equipment coverage, which covers additions to your motorcycle that wasn’t originally installed on the vehicle, like custom accessories or paint.
  • Bodily injury liability, property damage liability, medical payments coverage, and more.


The overall cost of a motorcycle insurance policy can be higher than a regular car insurance policy, because driving a motorcycle is much riskier than driving a car, truck, or some other recreational vehicles.


Other Recreational Vehicle Insurance


If you have other recreational vehicles like ATVs, travel trailers, a motorhome, or another kind of camper van, there are different kinds of insurance coverage that you will need to help protect these unique vehicles. Automobile insurance, recreational vehicle insurance, and motorcycle insurance are all specific to the risks and quirks of each of these categories of vehicles, which means one policy might not adequately cover you for each of the kinds of vehicles you might have.


If you tow a travel trailer or camper behind your regular car, you might be able to get an add-on for that trailer with your existing automobile insurance policy. However, you should always read the small print to make sure that all your vehicles have adequate coverage and are insured at financial levels that make sense.


Recreational vehicle coverage usually includes vacation liability coverage, as RVs and other campers tend to be used away from your standard home area; these policies can also include:


  • Emergency expense coverage, for immediate financial support in case of an accident or breakdown.
  • OTC (other-than-collision) coverage can help pay for damage from vandalism, theft, natural disasters, fires, water damage, and other incidents not caused by a road accident.
  • Replacement cost coverage, if your RV needs to be replaced because of damage.
  • Towing and roadside assistance, for situations where you can’t fix it yourself.
  • Full-timer coverage, for people who live in their RVs or campers for a significant portion of the year.
  • Stationary coverage, for times when your RV is parked, either in storage or being used as your residence.
  • Medical insurance coverage, for medical costs associated with an accident in your RV.
  • Uninsured motorist coverage, in case you are injured or your RV is damaged by another motorist who doesn’t have insurance.


To learn more about motorcycle insurance and other kinds of insurance for recreational vehicles, contact our team at www.protectiveagency.com  or call (877) 739-9367. Our licensed insurance agents will be happy to answer any questions you have.